Church Marketing Series
Church Marketing Plans
The Old Days Of Church Marketing
Church Marketing For 2013 and Beyond
Church Marketing: Getting Started
Church Marketing: Developing Your Teams
World Class Communication Team
Church Marketing Are You Hitting The Mark
After serving 13 years in some wonderful churches, the one constant I found was the challenge to communicate with the congregation at large. Even with all the modern technologies at our disposal, it was very difficult to communicate upcoming events, mission and vision, and upcoming sermon series.
Communication teams improve this drastically.
Now that I’m not currently holding a staff position within the local church, this has been compounded by me visiting other churches. Its painfully obvious that churches do not know how to communicate to the community they serve.
As a pastor I was so involved in the day-to-day business of the church, I knew everything that was taking place.
But now that I am not on staff, I’ve had the ability to travel and look at other churches.
The one constant thing about the local church, is that unless you belong to that church, you have no idea what is taking place within that church.
It is almost like a secret society.
I went to lunch with a local pastor of a great church in our area and I spent an hour with him. I heard about the upcoming sermon series, about small groups, and their need for a connect class for new comers.
After lunch I left with a weird feeling in my gut.
My first questions was how does anyone within a 1 mile radius of your church know any of that information?
My second question was, is this pastor the extent of their communication team?
Could you imagine if the only way information leaked out about your church was by the pastor having one on one lunches with people in the community.
So I got on my motorcycle and began taking a tour of our area, counting the churches that were within a mile of that one church.
Something you need to know about us southerners. We like ourselves some southern Baptist churches.
We like them so much that all you have to do is stand on the front steps of one southern Baptist church and spit…you are bound to hit the next one.
So, I decided to quit counting.
But, the reality was there. No one outside the walls of those churches had any idea what was taking place within those churches.
Worse yet, the bikers I hang out with, never even think nor talk about the churches in our area. There is nothing to talk about!
- I did not know what kind of worship was taking place.
- Who the senior pastor was.
- What they were doing for the community.
- How they witnessed.
- How many people were there.
- Did they have a youth ministry.
- Children’s ministry.
- Were the friendly
- Would they talk to a biker like me
Now being a professional church person and pastor for so many years, I could guess by looking at the building!
- I would know within a few minutes of walking through the doors what the attitude was.
- I would know by the stage set up what type of worship it was.
- I would know by the announcements what was important to the church
- I would know by the greeters if they would talk to me
- I would know by the pastors opening joke whether or not he was good.
But what about the community?
What is it that they know? Or those who have never been to church? Or those who never even think about your church?
As a pastor I would honestly think that people would spend their entire week thinking about and mulling over what was taking place within the walls of the church I served.
I use to think that leaders and church goers would spend the entire week waiting for Sunday morning and could not wait to tell their friends.
But after moving my ministry from a desk to a motorcycle and spending time with business people in our community. I realize that not to many people even bring up the topic.
I know those 20% who show up to everything, they are gung-ho. But what about the other 80%.
Better yet, what about those who have never walked through those doors?
Those who have never heard of you?
I know it is hard to imagine that people within a mile radius of your church do not even know your name. Or that you are the pastor of the church.
When I left my last local pastor job, I thought everyone in Sugarland Texas knew of our plant church.
It was a rude awaking when I realized that no one even knew who we are, and that we were there.
The reality, even someone like me, that’s always on the lookout for exciting things that churches are doing, can’t find out more about what God is doing within your four walls.
Here is the deal.
What if I was to tell you that there was a way that information could be leaking out to your congregation, community, and beyond.
That there are free tools that you can be using everyday to get the word out about your church, the things God is doing, and bring the gospel message to those who are down and hurting.
Would that be something of value to you?